Friday, August 22, 2014

Everyone has to start somewhere

Some of my earliest and most favorite memories as a kid were when I was reading. If I didn't have a book I was reading the back of a cereal box or the label of a ketchup bottle. I even remember getting in trouble for reading too much. My most favorite memories though of reading were when I go to the tallest tree in my backyard, climb as high as I could, find a comfortable branch, and just sit up there and read for what seemed like hours. It felt like I was at the top of the world doing what I love the most. Looking back on it as an adult I can't believe I didn't fall or that I could even do that at all. Sometimes I would accidentally drop a book from that height, laugh and then climb down to pick it up and go back up to continue reading it. 90% of the time when I was up there I was reading a Shel Silverstein book. He made me not only enjoy reading but was the first one to transport me to another world.

I stopped reading as much as a teen, I had friends and people close to me tell me that "reading was dumb and only nerds read for fun". I don't remember exactly when I stopped but a part of me died when that happened. I only read every once in a while and usually only when required (the big exception would be Harry Potter). I also developed a habit of speed reading. Just glancing at the words, trying to get through it as fast as possible. Not absorbing what I was reading just trying to finish it so I could say that I read it.

This all changed for me starting in 2008. I started working in a retail store with some book lovers. One of them suggested that I read a series that they adored. It was a kids series so deep down I snubbed it a little, thinking "I'm too old for a children's series". But I read it anyways because she seemed to love it so much and I didn't want to hurt her. The series was Fablehaven, a fantasy series about a brother and sister who find that their grandparents have a sanctuary for magical and mythical creatures. I was pulled into a world full of color, fun and adventure at a time in my life when I needed it the most. Slowly as the years went by I started reading a little more and more. I became discovered young adult in 2013 after finding out that most of what I've enjoyed reading falls under that category. I didn't like that young adult had the reputation of "being a teen's book" and "spinoffs of Twilight full of vampires and werewolves" and was wary because of that, but I found that almost all of the books were unique, each one with its own soul and own world. I found that feeling again of being sucked in to a place that I had never been before. Fell in love with people I had never met and places I had never seen.... and I loved every minute of it. I even starting reading outside, in the woods or on a park bench, just reading outside restored me to what I missed before. I can't explain it, but there's something so great about reading in the outdoors, seeing the beauty and reading a good book.

I had never thought of writing a blog until the last book I read, The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick . There are books that are so great, that make you think about them after they are all said and done. Books where you don't think you are going to relate to them, but you end up doing so in a way you can't imagine. Books that are perfect (well as close as they possible can be) and you want to tell everyone about this book. This book made me want to blog and share my opinions on books and how I feel and love for them. Even if no one else cares its still nice to know my thoughts are recorded somewhere.
Hope you guys enjoy what is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment