Sunday, August 31, 2014

Ebooks vs real books

Let me start of saying that I enjoy reading both Ebooks and real books. With Ebooks I seem to read at a faster pace and I can read while I work and get away with it. Also I get almost all of my books from my local library and with Ebooks I don't have to worry about bringing the book back and I don't have to carry it around in my purse the whole time. Plus in some cities your local library may partner with an online ebook website that has thousands of books for free that can be transferred to a kindle or ereader or read on their website. I use one named Overdrive but talk to your local library to see if they partner with an online ebook provider.

Real, physical books have their own benefits too. For one, when you are done you can put it on your shelf and display it to anyone who comes into your house. It's your way of saying "Here are my favorite books. I am proud of them and I think you should read them too.". Another reason is that books have that book smell when you open them. Book nerds know what I'm talking about. That smell that tells you the history of the book without even looking at the cover. Some books you can smell the age on them, some smell like they came from a place surrounded by other books, and some smell so fresh, so new, like it was created just for you to read. Also, you can enjoy the cover more if its a real book. With an ebook you get a tiny cover that you only see when you first read it or when you click on the icon to select the book. With a real one you can feel the cover, see the effects like raised font, shimmer and glitter, the details that the author designed for you to see up close and in person, not from far away or a small version of. Also sometimes the hardback books have a better cover without the jacket on it. I always look and see when I'm reading a hardback.

The reason I go into this debate is because a while ago I picked up some Janet Evanovich paperback books at my local library's booksale. It was every almost every title in the Stephanie Plum series (except for like 4 or 5 of them). They take up almost a full shelf on my favorite shelf. I adore the series and want to reread them again after I whittle my to be read pile down a little bit. But the issue is that I found out that my local library now has her books online, so I can just check out a ebook whenever I want. This leaves me at an impasse. Part of me wants to keep the books just to display and read at pleasure. But another part of me wants to give them away to another reader and open up that shelf. I know its a stupid dilemma, but it brings up an important point... should we have a digital library instead of a physical library? There are some books I will never get rid of (One in particular is my signed copy of The One by Kiera Cass, even though I bought it presigned).

 I don't know what I will do, but I am leaning towards donating them. Let me know in the comments your thoughts on ebooks and whether or not I should keep them.

No comments:

Post a Comment