Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Buying Books VS Getting From Your Local Library: Which Is Better?

I was watching an older video of one of my favorite booktubers doing a bookhaul. A bookhaul is when someone shows the books that they have recieved over a period of time. Jessethereader had someone give him a Barns and Noble Collector's Edition of Elenor and Park. At first I was kinda indifferent (although just hearing the names Elenor and Park made me smile). But then he opened it up and I was just floored. Inside the cover pages they had included fan art. Not just normal fan art, beautiful fan art taking up the entire page, depicting some of the best moments in the story. This got me thinking, what other collector's editions are there? Are they just as nice or are they a money sucker meant to suck the money from young people? I did a little more research and long story short I have a list of collector's editions of books that I now have to have. This got me thinking how much is too much to pay for a book that you know you love? Can you own too many books? When is enough enough? Should you buy a book if you know you might not read it again soon? These questions are tough, and each one has different answers based on personal preferences and opinions. I am going to go over some of them and some of the answers may make others mad, so take what I say with a grain of salt. What works for me may not be the best thing for you. It seems like more often recently I have been buying books. In the past I would hardly ever buy them because I could always get them for free from my local library. But there are some books that I am proud to want to own and want to display.
There are also some books that have different covers based on what country they are from. Is it right to pay twice as much for a copy of Fangirl because its the exclusive cover and collectors edition? I'm not sure. But I will still keep doing what I'm doing right now, getting the books I read from the library and if I love it so much then I will buy them.
What do you guys think? Do you have any must buy books? 

No comments:

Post a Comment